April 26

Week 6

For one of my big final projects I want to make a full sized sword. My mom suggested using larch wood because it carves nicely and we have pieces in the shapes I need.To practice and figure out shapes I am making a small version. I carved the blade and hilt so far. One of the things I have to figure out soon is my expert, I have a couple ideas and will reach out to them soon. The plan that i’ve been following is pretty easy to stay with and I have made lots of progress and my skills are getting better. One of my challenges is still carving curves but I have searched up tips and they have helped me a lot.

The blade turned out really well but it started warping weird and I had to staighten it out berfore it dried fully.

I tried to make the hilt one piece with a slit in the middle but I kept breaking the wood. I decided to make it two pieces and then glue them together after so that I could make the knotches properly. The wood was really brittle and I broke many pieces before I got two matching ones. I also realized I actually made them the wrong way but it still looks good. When I was sanding it down, I realized it doesn’t sand smooth when still slightly wet so I have to wait for the outside to dry fully before I can sand. I now have to make the handle and attach all the pieces.

What it looks like so far

Posted April 26, 2023 by marikaott22 in category Uncategorized